A Step-By-Step Knee Replacement Recovery Timeline for Seniors in Melbourne
As life expectancy continues to rise, the demand for joint replacement surgery among older Australians, particularly in Melbourne, is increasing. Statistics indicate that approximately 13.3% of individuals aged 65-84 years and 22.5% of those over 85 years have undergone at least one joint replacement. While knee replacement surgery often leads to reduced pain and improved mobility post-recovery, we recognize at Home Care Assistance Melbourne that taking the step towards such a surgery can be overwhelming. Our dedicated Care Professionals are here to assist you throughout your knee replacement recovery, providing support with rehabilitation and ensuring your safety at home post-surgery. To further aid your journey, we’ve compiled this blog to guide you through the recovery process and offer valuable tips for a secure and successful recuperation.
Week-by-Week Recovery Guide for Knee Replacement
- The initial 12 weeks post-surgery play a pivotal role in setting the foundation for your long-term recovery, culminating around the one-year mark. Here’s a breakdown of what you can anticipate during these crucial first 12 weeks:
- Hospital stay for one to five days.
- Learning to sit, stand, and move with crutches or a walker.
- Assistance with daily activities at home, including showering, dressing, cooking, medication management, exercises, and errands.
- Gradual return to daily activities like cooking and cleaning.
- Caution to avoid overexertion and taking regular breaks.
- Likely inability to drive, requiring assistance with transportation and rehabilitation exercises.
- Improvement in knee strength and flexibility, with more challenging exercises from the physiotherapist.
- Transitioning to a sense of normalcy.
- Potential ability to walk without aid and engage in more demanding activities.
- Emphasis on adhering to the recovery plan, attending appointments, and continuing exercises.
- Home Care Assistance Care Professionals providing support to ensure consistency and optimal outcomes.
4 Tips for Home Recovery from Knee Replacement
Recovering at home following knee replacement surgery is a crucial phase. To safeguard against setbacks, consider the following four tips:
1. Stay Safe:
- Set up your home to minimize fall risks.
- Ensure essential items are on the ground floor for homes with stairs.
- Install safety bars in key areas, like the shower/bath/toilet.
- Prearrange a raised toilet seat and a shower chair.
- Remove trip hazards for a clear and safe living space.
2. Minimize Pain and Infection:
- Take prescribed pain medications, antibiotics, and stool softeners as directed.
- Maintain vigilance on medication schedules, with support from Home Care Assistance Care Professionals.
- Assist with prescription pickups and monitor for signs of infection.
3. Eat Well:
- Follow a healthy diet to facilitate faster recovery.
- Home Care Assistance Care Professionals can assist with grocery shopping and meal preparation.
4. Move Regularly:
- Engage in regular, moderate movement without overexertion.
- Home Care Assistance Care Professionals can support you with walks, prescribed exercises, and household chores.
By understanding the recovery process and incorporating these tips, you can enhance the speed and safety of your knee replacement recovery. Home Care Assistance Care Professionals are ready to assist you in various ways during this crucial time. If you or a loved one is considering knee replacement surgery, consult with our Care Professionals to explore the support they can provide throughout this journey in Melbourne.